Friday, September 23, 2011

How do I reset the service warning indicator on my Audi A4?

I have a P reg Audi A4 Avant 1.8. When I start up the dashboard shows a warning code on the odometer display showing the car needs a service. I I service my own cars, does anyone know a trick as to how you can reset it?


Please do not tell me to go to Audi!|||I am an Audi Technician. If you tell me what year your A4 is, I can tell you how to reset it.|||If carrying out your own service then to remove the anoying service light on start up then try this.





Press and hold the right button. (odometer reset)





now switch on the ignition


(oil lamp will not flash, but on at all times)





press the right button again


(insp is now displayed)





pull left button. (clock set)


(------ are now displayed)





Pull left button again





This works on my A4 tdi (110bhp) but should work on all.





this also works on my 98 A4 1.8T


i hope this helps if not then ebay is a good place to buy a service indicator reseter, if not then unfortunately you may need to go to audi|||I use the ScanGauge II aswell to reset the light, but they are quite expensive to buy, so normally borrow one off a mechanic friend.





Might be worth just asking your local independent Audi garage if you can bung them a tenner to use it.





There is a list of independent garages here...





http://www.prestigecarservicing.com/locations.html





Hope that helps|||We use the ScanGauge II to reset our own lights. You can also go to a NAPA or local car parts store like Advance AutoParts or Murry's depending where you live. they can analyze the code and reset it for you no charge.





Edna|||you will need a reset tool you can get these off ebay, or a obd11 lead and a lap top and down load the VAG COM, free software, you can then reset your service lights and see and reset any fault codes etc, the new models you can reset it by pressing some of the dash buttons in the correct sequence.





http://www.audiworld.com/forum/ is great site for Audi info .|||There's a difference between Audi service indication and ODBII check engine light. Check engine light can be reset by regular ODBII scan tool. If you are talking about Audi service indicator, you would need Vag-Com tool:





http://www.ross-tech.com/





I have one of these and they are worth their cost. It tells you a lot about the car. It recently saved me few hundred dollars when I was able to repair my own MAF sensor (clean it instead of replace / repair). But if you are not the do-it-yourself-er then... you have almost no choice but deal with the dealer. There's no free ride in the world of Audi. The only choice are expensive and more expensive repair cost.





As I see it, it is worth the money given I can resell it when I get rid of my car later. So the actual cost would be the difference between buy and sell price. And the difference would be much less than frequent visit to my Audi dealer.





Good Luck.|||What's the mileage? Usually, these things trip at 50k, 75k. Probably if you drive around for maybe a 100 miles it will go out. That's been my experience. You can also buy or borrow a code scanner and clear it.

No comments:

Post a Comment